Monday, October 10, 2016

Adventures with the BYU Girls/ Being Missionary is Best Work Ever

Aug 8, 2016
Displaying image_00002.jpg Displaying image_00007.jpg Displaying image_00009.jpg
Displaying image_00011.jpg  Displaying image_00014.jpg Displaying image_00015.jpg 

Buna tuturor!

Wow, what a whirlwind it has been of late! I'm so sorry for not sending anything for a bit; I got a little caught up with the anticipation of training a new missionary and trying to figure out what I am going to do when I get home and applying for college! All of that aside, the Lord's work continues to move forward, and I am still somewhat sane. It's crazy to think that in the past few weeks, I've realized how short the time I have left is- Sora Gubar might be my second to last companion! But I'm so lucky to have her. 

Sora Gubar is from Kiev, and her native language is Russian. She speaks english pretty well, and she's picking up on Romanian super fast! Our first day together, last Thursday, was spent in Bucuresti- we had our own little ceremony at Cismigiu gardens and read the dedicatory prayers for Romania and Moldova. Once flying back to Iasi, we realized what an adventure these next nine weeks together will be! We understand each other about 80% of the time, which I think is a straight up miracle haha. Sometimes Sora Gubar will stop in the middle of a sentence and start mumbling words in russian, and I usually end up finishing it for her! The gift of tongues is real. Learning the ropes of communication is just one of the great adventures we have before us. I know that I am going to learn a ton from Sora Gubar, because she already has two weeks of missionary experience serving in Kiev before she came to Romania and was waiting to get her visa. She has new missionary fire, and has astounded me with her boldness in approaching people on the street and just being friendly with everyone. We've made a lot of new friends, and are excited to share more incredible experiences with them!

Yesterday was one of the best Sundays of my mission, hands down. First of all, it was Fast Sunday, and we were all fasting together for the branch to grow. There was a special spirit as members went up and bore their testimonies about Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon that testifies of him. I was translating the meeting into english for the BYU girls, but when Sora Gubar got up to bear her testimony in Romanian, I completely forgot I was supposed to be translating! It was so beautiful to hear her testimony like that, because she's only been in Romania for four days now. The words were simple, but everything she said had such power, because it came from the heart and it was true. I know there's a reason we are called to speak a different language sometimes, to remind us and humble us of the simple truths we hold dear. God's power is real, and He is eager and willing to help us if we let Him!

I love you all and hope this embarassingly late email finds you all well! Toate cele bune, sanatate multa, pace, si dragoste!

Cu mult drag,

Sora Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment