Monday, October 10, 2016

The Day of Silence (Lessons Learned)

Sept 5, 2016
Buna tuturor!

Hope this update finds you well! Sora Gubar and I are in Iasi until Wednesday morning, and then we will be taking a plane to Bucuresti to kick off mission conference with President Uchtdorf, President Kearon, and Elder and Sister Boom. I could not be more stoked!! This past week was one of the most interesting and adventure-filled ones of the last 16 months. We had a lot of cool experiences bloc-knocking, finally had an investigator come to church, and had someone at the bus stop randomly ask us about the Book of Mormon! I've also been especially inspired by something I read this week called the Ricciardy letter, my favorite quote being, " The Lord tells us in Alma 38:12 to be bold, but not overbearing. Ricciardi defined overbearance as “boldness without love”. When people know and feel your love, you can never be too bold!”' 

To explain the title of this email, I want to share a quick story:

After I realized I was getting sick Wednesday night, Sora Gubar and I read 20 pages in the Book of Mormon anyways- I've never been sick on my mission before, so I figured it would just go away. When I woke up the next morning, I realized that this was something more than just a sore throat from reading aloud. By the time we went out for the day, I had completely lost my voice. For the rest of that day and part of the next, Sora Gubar was the voice of our companionship. She did all the talking on the phone, in our lessons, at the visa office, at the print shop, everywhere. She even said all our companionship prayers. I did my best to communicate with her and everyone else by keeping a pen and sticky notes in hand; we communicated a lot through notes and sign language. Although it was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced as a missionary, of which the core is speaking to people, I learned a lot from it:

Sora Gubar is a beast missionary, sometimes you have to take a second to slow down and take care of yourself, and when you have the chance to speak to people, you should never pass it up!

Love and all the best for this week,

Sora Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment